[Rarebooks] fs: Books on Ivory

Joslin Hall Rare Books, ABAA office at joslinhall.com
Tue Jun 1 14:27:25 EDT 2004

A selection of five books on Nantucket Arts->

Kinsey, Miriam. CONTEMPORARY NETSUKE. Rutland; Charles Tuttle: 1983. 2nd
ptg. A beautiful and informative study of the art of the modern Japanese
netsuke carver. Kinsey examines the work of modern carvers and the way
they pursue their craft, watches a netsuke being carved, and illustrates
108 modern netsuke in striking color photographs. She also provides brief
biographies and signatures marks of 108 carvers, and more detailed
biographies of 27 leading artists. Hardcover. 7.5"x10.5", 261 pages, 108
color and 50 b/w illustrations, plus 110 signatures; dj. A beautiful copy.
[05092] $200.00

<http://www.joslinhall.com/images03/th-05092.jpg>

Longhurst, M.H. ENGLISH IVORIES. London; G.P. Putnam's Sons:1926. A very
fine, well illustrated study of English ivory work from Roman times
through the Renaissance. The text includes both a long historical
background on English ivory work and a detailed catalog of the illustrated
specimens. The examples are drawn from a number of English and European
collections, mostly museums, but with some private collections also
represented.  9"x11.5", 123 pages with 10 figures in the text, plus 6
color and 51 b&w plates, plus the supplementary b&w plate; a fine copy.
[16712] $175.00

<http://www.joslinhall.com/images/th-16712.jpg>

Maskell, Alfred. IVORIES. Rutland; Charles Tuttle: 1966 (1986, 2nd ptg.).
A standard work, first published in 1905 as part of the Connoisseur's
Library. Maskell covers both Eastern and Western ivories, from ancient
times through the 18th century. The book was written for rich collectors
in 1905, so not much of the material shown is available on the market
these days, but it does give the reader a good grounding in the history of
ivory art, and illustrates and discusses wonderful examples. Hardcover.
7.5"x10.5", 551 pages, 88 b/w plates, dj; a little light wear, but a very
nice copy. [03792] $75.00

<http://www.joslinhall.com/images/th-03792.jpg>

Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367
email <office at joslinhall.com>;
~~
Our full-service website features 82 separate subject categories, is
updated daily and has full search capabilities. http://www.joslinhall.com
~~
Subscribe to our free email News List and get special discounts and offers
on selected books! Send e-mail to
<JHRBnews- at joslinhall.com>; and put the word
"subscribe" (without quotes) in the Subject line of your note.
~~
Check out our "Featured Book"
http://www.joslinhall.com/today1.htm

All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa, Mastercard and
Discover.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are
$5.00 for the first book, and $1.50 for each additional book.
Shipments outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we
are notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please
ask for full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add
5% state sales tax.

Subscribe to the free Rare Books Mailing List
http://www.rarebooksmailinglist.com