[Rarebooks] fs: Manual Of A Thematic Apperception Test For African Subjects.HER,

Pascale's Books d.dapbooks at verizon.net
Fri Jun 18 11:45:57 EDT 2004

For Sale by Pascale's Books:

MANUAL OF A THEMATIC APPERCEPTION TEST FOR AFRICAN SUBJECTS.

By: S. G. Lee
Published in Pietermartizburg; University of Natal Press: 1953, 42 pages,
softcover,
 with 22 picture cards with African characters, in very good condition.
   The Preface states: The Thematic Apperception Test is undoubtedly one of
the most fruitful techniques of personality research. Nevertheless, of all
"projective techniques," it is probably the one whose results re most liable
to distortion by the operation of cultural differences in various
communities.
   The test was originally devised for the testing of white American
subjects, and thus the stimulus pictures of the test can hardly be regarded
as suitable for use among Africans.
   My interest lay in the investigation of the personality of African
subjects, and, at first, I attempted to use the original American test for
this purpose, without modification. The results were disappointing, in that
Africans were not adequately stimulated to imaginative production by the
test material.
   Thus I decided to devise my own set of pictures for use with Africans. In
the choice of subject- matter for the pictures I was greatly exercised in my
mind as to how to cross the cultural gap between myself and the Africans.
Eventually, I collected the fantasies of a group of Bantu inmates of a
mental hospital and used scenes from these productions as the bases of the
pictures.
Originally, the pictures were made for use among Zulu subjects, but have
since been found to serve their purpose adequately among Sutho, Ovambo,
Fingo, Xosa, Tswana, Griqua and Swari.
   I have analyzed the productions of approximately one hundred and forty
subjects so far, and I fell that the results of this testing have justified
the publication of a manual."....$250.00
PASCALE'S BOOKS      170 Elm Street   North Reading, Ma.   USA.     01864 -
2942
e= d.dapbooks at verizon.net      978-276-3122 eastern standard time.
Payment may be paid by VISA, MASTERCARD, AMERICAN EXPRESS, DISCOVER Credit
Cards.
U.S. dollars; such as check, postal money order, western union. Institutions
can be billed.
View my online inventory at www.abebooks, www.antiquebooks.com ,
www.bibliodirect.com, www.bibio.com, www.alibris.com
 http://dogbert.abebooks.com/abe/BooksBrowsePL?vendorclientid=107259
Interesting and Unusual Books
including...
Law
Science
Sociology
Psychology
Criminal Behavior
Textiles & Fashion
Ethnographic Arts
White Collar Crime
History of Computers
Business & Economics
Gardening & Natural History
Atom Bomb & Atomic Aftermath
Technology & the History of Technology
etc.
"Read an old book & learn something new."

d.dapbooks at verizon.net
978-276-3122

View my inventory at www.abebooks.com, www.alibris.com,
www.bibliodirect.com, www.antiqbooks.com, www.biblio.com