[Rarebooks] OFFER: UNIQUE COMIC ALBUM OF J. FORBES ROBERTSON'S TROOP, TOURING NORTH AMERICA.

Laderman zita at speakeasy.net
Fri Jun 25 00:46:33 EDT 2004

BEAUMONT, J.H.: AMERICAN SKETCHES. MORE OR LESS FROM LIFE.  NP, 1904.
Oblong 4to TP + 27 FP Original comic drawings in pen and ink, of J. Forbes
Robertson's troupe of English actors on tour in U.S.A. and Canada. Unique!
Completely professional and quite spirited work, it looks absolutely ready
for lithographic reproduction. Now and then a faint trace of the original
pencil under the ink is visible.The company is caricatured in activities
appropriate to the seasons spring, fall and winter, in a connected series
following their tour, stop by stop. The actors are identified as "fussy",
"Old Coff", (Coffersham), "Aubrey", "Polly", and "Scotch". Forbes
Robertson,  was the lead actor and leader of the troupe. He had a leading
man's face, tall with a white handle bar moustache and a perpetual tan. He
was famous in London and had his own company from about 1895 when he began
to appear under his own management with great success in such classic plays
as Hamlet, which was a triumph for him, as well as Romeo and Juliet and
Macbeth. He also appeared in modern roles such as John Davidson's For the
Crown and in Maeterlinck's Pelleas and Melisande. In 1900 he married the
actress Gertrude Elliott, with whom, as his leading lady, he appeared at
various theatres, producing in subsequent years. I believe she is hidden
under one of the nicknames here, as well. In subsequent years, they
appeared together in The Light that Failed, Madeleine Lucette Rileys Mice
and Men, and G. Bernard Shaws Caesar and Cleopatra, Jerome K. Jeromes
Passing of the Third Floor Back, &c.  On this tour, Cities visited included
Niagara, Buffalo, Providence, Montreal, Detroit, Cincinnati and Cleveland.
Subjects of cartoons include  golf, photography, a magician "The Great
Malin", a Firehouse, The effect of a nude painting on the troupe[comic
mayhem ensues]. There is a long sequence of winter scenes in
Montreal,  Beaumont is obviously one of the actors, but he could easily
have been an editorial or comic strip cartoonist. A unique theatrical
record and a high spirited one. The last scene shows them home again,
sprinting for English grub: "Chops, Steaks, Ales." About Fine in Original
cloth $3275.00

P.S. If this seems familiar, it is. I have had it for a while, but just
worked out who J. Forbes Robertson was, and rewrote the description. I knew
it was a oner, but it is a better oner than, I, at first, knew. Twentyseven
pages of caricatures of one of the premier English troupes with one of the
great turn of the century leading men as the boss, is better than "just a
cartoon album."
Yes, I do make mistakes, all the time, but no one caught me on this one.

ZITA BOOKS / NEW YORK, N.Y. / G. LADERMAN
telephone: 212-866-4715  email:zita at speakeasy.net

Carriage billed at cost. Payment in US dollar check or bank transfer required.
Credit cards accepted for payment through paypal. The usual trade discounts
offered.  Prices here quoted take precedence over any earlier listing.