[Rarebooks] fs: 1830 Epitaph Writer

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Tue Sep 21 11:45:34 EDT 2004

Booker, Rev. Luke. TRIBUTES TO THE DEAD: consisting of more than two
hundred Epitaphs, many of them original compositions, suitable for persons
of all ages and circumstances.

London; J. Hatchard and Son: 1830.

The Reverend Luke Booker, like many of his brethren, was unimpressed by the
state of epitaph writing in the 19th century. He was so unimpressed by the
general tenor of most epitaphs, "which excite emotions certainly quite the
reverse of seriousness", that "to prevent their occurrence in my own
parish, I requested the different stone-masons always to let me see the
form of inscription brought to them, before they transferred such form to
its abiding station on stone... A consequence ensued which I did not
anticipate, namely, the task of providing epitaphs...". That is what is
perhaps most interesting about this book -many of the epitaphs were
actually composed by a single person- the author.

An uncommon work -OCLC lists just 2 copies.

Hardcover. 4.5"x7.75", xviii + 98 pages + 1 leaf of advertisements for the
publisher's other books; bound in the original decorated boards, with a
decorative vignette of a willow covered urn on both the cover and title
page. Light cover soil, a few points of rubbing, etc, along the spine;
former owner's name on the upper corner of the cover; a little light soil
on the endpapers. All in all, in superlative condition, in the original
decorated boards. The paper is quite fresh and white. As sweet a copy of
this title as you will ever be likely to find anywhere. [00606] $300.00

Picture-
<http://www.a-grave-affair.com/Images/th-00606.jpg>

To subscribe to "GRAVE MATTERS", our new email newsletter, go here-
<http://a-grave-affair.com/mailman/listinfo/grave_matters_a-grave-affair.com>

To see the current "GRAVE MATTERS" newsletter go here-
<http://www.a-grave-affair.com/grave_matters_current.htm>

To visit A GRAVE AFFAIR go here-
<http://www.a-grave-affair.com>

A GRAVE AFFAIR
A selection of books and related materials illustrating how Society and
individuals have dealt with and memorialized Mortality and Death through
the Ages.

Post Office Box 516, Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367
email <office at a-grave-affair.com>
~~
Subscribe to "Grave Matters, our free email newsletter
and get special discounts and offers on selected books!

All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges
are $5.00 for the first book, and $1.50 for each additional book.
Shipments outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns
if we are notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please
ask for full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add
5% state sales tax.