[Rarebooks] FS: Intriguing Inscribed W. B. Yeats First Edition

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Wed Sep 22 09:55:58 EDT 2004

 From our internet-only Catalogue of New Arrivals for September:
Faulkner, Yeats, etc. now posted on our web site:
http://www.erols.com/agvent

YEATS,  W.  B.  THE  KING'S THRESHOLD:  AND  ON  BAILE'S
         STRAND:  BEING  VOLUME THREE OF PLAYS FOR AN  IRISH  THEATRE.
         London:  A.  H.  Bullen 1904. First Edition.  Original  green
         linen-backed  gray paper boards with paper spine label.  Wade
         56. Published  in  March 1904. This copy while not signed  by
         the author  is  INSCRIBED by him on the front  endpaper:  "To
         MD/for  her  [his?] birthday/Mar 1904." An educated guess  is
         that MD  might  stand for the actress Miss Darragh  [Florence
         Laetitia  (Dallas)  Darragh),  an established figure  on  the
         London  stage  who appeared in the Dublin 1906 production  of
         Yeats's  plays  DEIRDRE  and THE SHADOWY WATERS and  of  whom
         Yeats thought  very  highly. Another possibility  is  Michael
         Davitt,  the  Irish  Nationalist, whose birthday was  on  the
         25th of  March  and who died in 1906. Adding to the  intrigue
         is an old  pencil  note in an unidentified hand on the  front
         pastedown:  "pres. copy for Stephen Gwynn." Gwynn, author and
         Irish nationalist,  was  a champion for Yeats.  According  to
         the DICTIONARY  OF NATIONAL BIOGRAPHY, "In spite of his  book
         Irish Literature  and Drama (1936) and some early association
         with the  Irish  Players in London, Gwynn himself had  little
         to do with   drama,  and  stood  apart   from  the  fame  and
         influence  of  the  Abbey Theatre." Perhaps the  most  likely
         possibility  is the illustrator and playwright Mabel Dearmer,
         a very  close  friend of Gwynn's who died while serving  as a
         nurse in  World  War  I.  Gwynn  wrote a  memoir  of  her  in
         Dearmer's   posthumously  published  LETTERS   FROM  A  FIELD
         HOSPITAL.  Thus the pencil note related to Gwynn could  refer
         to his  receiving  the book from Dearmer or from a member  of
         her family  after  her  death. An altogether  Very  Good  and
         intriguing copy.                                     $3500.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.  Postage additional:  $7.00 for the first book, $3.50 each thereafter.  Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax.  Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted.  Books may be returned within 7 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value.  We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and Limited Editions Club books.  We are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB) as well as the International Autograph Dealers Alliance (IADA), the Manuscript Society, and the Universal Autograph Collectors Club (UACC).  Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings.  Thank you.

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent