[Rarebooks] fs: Four 19th c. Epitaph titles, bound as 1 volume

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Wed Sep 22 12:20:16 EDT 2004

An interesting collection of four epitaph titles, bound into a single volume-

"A Select Collection of Epitaphs and Monumental Inscriptions, with
Anecdotes of Distinguished Extraordinary Persons" -anonymous. Published by
J. Raw in 1806. With a nice frontispiece.

"Church=Yard Gleanings, and Epigrammatic Scraps: being a collection of
remarkable Epitaphs and Epigrams..." by William Pulleyn. London: 1830.

"[Epitaphia], or, A collection of memorials, inscribed to the memory of
good and faithful servants, copied on the spot, in various cemetaries
throughout the counties of Berks, Buckingham, (etc)." by J.W. Streeten.
London: 1826.

"Church-yard Gleanings, or, A Collection of Epitaphs and Monumental
Inscriptions". Derby, no date (ca. 1840).

The good news about this last title is that it is fairly scarce, with only
2 OCLC listings, and that it has a nice folding frontispiece showing a
churchyard. The bad news about it is that the frontispiece is somewhat
strongly (though not unpleasantly) colored, and that in trimming the pages
to make them fit into the binding with the rest of the books, the edges
have been trimmed right up to, and in some cases into the text (in these
case nicking off small parts of the outermost letters).

Hardcover. 4"x6.5", xv + 230 pages + engraved frontispiece; xxiii + 264
pages; xii + 312 pages; 24 pages + folding colored frontispiece. Bound in
19th century plain quarter leather with marbled boards. Covers somewhat
worn and rubbed; spine head chipped at one corner; a little internal soil
and spotting. [00553] $350.00

Picture-
<http://www.a-grave-affair.com/Images/th-00553.jpg>

To subscribe to "GRAVE MATTERS", our new email newsletter, go here-
<http://a-grave-affair.com/mailman/listinfo/grave_matters_a-grave-affair.com>

To see the current "GRAVE MATTERS" newsletter go here-
<http://www.a-grave-affair.com/grave_matters_current.htm>

To visit A GRAVE AFFAIR go here-
<http://www.a-grave-affair.com>

A GRAVE AFFAIR
A selection of books and related materials illustrating how Society and
individuals have dealt with and memorialized Mortality and Death through
the Ages.

Post Office Box 516, Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367
email <office at a-grave-affair.com>
~~
Subscribe to "Grave Matters, our free email newsletter
and get special discounts and offers on selected books!

All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges
are $5.00 for the first book, and $1.50 for each additional book.
Shipments outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns
if we are notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please
ask for full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add
5% state sales tax.