[Rarebooks] fs: The Art of Shooting-Flying

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Tue Sep 13 11:01:40 EDT 2005

"And now, our Pieces loaded, we divide
The rows between, each takes a diff'rent Side,
Careful, yet Unconcern'd; not Idle, still
Unbent, with Diligence enough to Kill.
Learn'd to Take Time, the Chief and Only Rule,
First to be practis'd in the Marksman's School.
Most Youths undisciplin'd, the Sport confound,
By random Firing on improper Ground:
For as in Flights of hasty Wit, the same
Examin'd, will be Parallel in Game".
          -George Markland, ca.1720s.

"You just stand there looking cute,
and when something moves, you shoot."
          -Tom Lehrer, ca. 1960s.

Markland, [George].  PTERYPLEGIA: The Art of Shooting-Flying.  New York;
The Derrydale Press: 1931.  Edition limited to 500 copies.  A new edition
of what is probably the very first book devoted to the art of wing
shooting, presented as a humorous poem.  The first edition appeared in
1727, several year after George Markland's untimely death at the age of
just 44.  Two subsequent editions followed in 1735 and 1767.  Eugene
Connett of the Derrydale Press prepared this fourth edition with
illustrations by Robert Ball and an informative and enjoyable introduction
by Col. H.P. Sheldon.

Hardcover.  7.5"x10.5", xv + 29 pages, line illustrations by Robert
Ball.  Light blue boards with a white parchment spine, as issued; paste-on
label on the front cover, gilt spine title; cover faded for about 1" along
the top; very light 1" fade along the base; light soil;
bookplate.  [04834]  $175.00

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

--> Visit our new BARGAIN BIN pages for a selection
      of good, inexpensive books for your bookshelf!
<http://www.joslinhall.com/special-1.htm>

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $1.50 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.