[Rarebooks] fs: Ancient Arts from the Naples Museum (1889)

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Wed Sep 14 10:43:35 EDT 2005

Monaco, Domenico. SPECIMENS FROM THE NAPLES MUSEUM. Naples; 1889. This
survey of ancient Roman arts in the Naples Museum, almost all of them from
Pompeii or Herculaneum, includes silver and glass, domestic metalware of
all types and descriptions, fancy and household, lighting devices, cameos
and jewelry, dress and hair ornaments, as well as ceramics, furniture,
statuary, wall paintings and sculpture.

Monaco was the Curator of the Museum, and notes- "this edition has been
carefully revised for me by Mr. Neville Rolfe, who so kindly prepared the
last English Edition of my Handbook to the Museum, and at his suggestion I
have inserted from the best authorities a summary of the various legends
and historical facts connected with the plates, which cannot but make the
work instructive as well as entertaining". Indeed.

Hardcover. 9"x12", 31 pages of letterpress text by E. Neville Rolfe, plus
168 engraved plates. Covers with some wear and soil, text pages very
brittle and somewhat browned; pp.19/20 with a closed tear; several plates
with moderate foxing, mostly only light foxing. [05191] $200.00

Pictures->
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images03/th-05191.jpg>

--> Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
      discounts and offers on selected books!

--> Our full-service website features 86 separate subject
      categories, and has full search capabilities.
<http://www.joslinhall.com>

--> Visit our new BARGAIN BIN pages for a selection
      of good, inexpensive books for your bookshelf!
<http://www.joslinhall.com/special-1.htm>

courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges are $5.00 for the
first book, and $1.50 for each additional book. Shipments outside the U.S.
will be billed at cost. We accept returns if we are notified within ten
days of your receipt of the books-please ask for full instructions and
terms. Massachusetts residents must add 5% state sales tax.