[Rarebooks] FS: O. W. Holmes Letter as Justice of the Mass. Supreme Court

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Sun Sep 25 20:33:32 EDT 2005

HOLMES, Oliver Wendell, Jr. AUTOGRAPH LETTER SIGNED (ALS). Boston:
1  Nov. 1894. A two-page letter of @75 words on Massachusetts  Supreme
Court  4"  x 7" stationery to a lawyer, William H. Anderson.  "I  must
return  this one ... I do not remember to have assented to issues,  as
I  told  you,  and  it is not a nation of consent(?).  Grant  them  an
agreement.... The usual course is to present the issues to the judge--
who  is  to try them.... I say this assuming that I have not found  on
the question already which I do not remember having done. Yours truly,
O.    W.  Holmes".  Holmes  served   as  associate  justice   of   the
Massachusetts  Supreme Court from 1882 until 1899 and as chief justice
from  1899  until 1902. In 1902 he was appointed to the U. S.  Supreme
Court  by  President Theodore Roosevelt, a position he held until  his
retirement    in   1932.  Holmes  became   famous  for   his   liberal
interpretations  of the U.S. Constitution and was known as the  "Great
Dissenter"  because  of  his  disagreement   with  the  views  of  his
colleagues  on  the  Court. His lectures on common law at  the  Lowell
Institute  in  Boston,  collected  as   THE  COMMON  LAW  (1881),  are
considered  a classic of legal writing. Vertical crease from  mailing,
otherwise Fine.                                               $1500.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.
Postage additional:  $7.00 for the first book, $3.50 each thereafter.  Overseas

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent