[Rarebooks] William James' Retirement

Mark Stirling bookworm at tahoesnow.com
Sat Jun 12 18:51:11 EDT 2004

For Sale from Up-Country Letters, South Lake Tahoe, California:

James, William.   Autograph Letter, Signed, to Charles W. Eliot.  Dec. 12, no year but 1907.  One sheet folded to make 4 pp., all are used.  A cordial, sentimental letter informing President Eliot that he would be sending his resignation to the Trustees of Harvard University.  "...I have taken long to come to my decision, and feel now absolutely no doubts about the matter.  Both for objective and subjective reasons I am sure that it is the wisest course."  He then thanks and praises President Eliot for his support and friendship and hopes the rumors that Eliot is planning to resign are untrue, "...for the University could suffer no greater calamity...".  Folded for mailing, a Fine letter.    $1500

Up-Country Letters is a rare bookselling concern operated by Mark Stirling.  We specialize in Nineteenth Century American and English Literature with an emphasis on Transcendentalism;   Emerson, Thoreau, and their friends and associates.  Most of our inventory may be seen on-line at www.abebooks.com.

   Any item may be returned within 10 days if found to be unsatisfactory.  Postage is extra and items will be shipped at cost.  Payment may be made by most of the major credit cards and personal checks are welcome.

Mark Stirling
Up-Country Letters
PO Box 550367
680 Seneca Dr.