[Rarebooks] FS: McKinley & Hajji Baba

Gerard Gormley gerard at shore.net
Fri Jun 25 19:43:21 EDT 2004

For your kind consideration ---

McClure, Alexander K. (Introduction and biography) & Charles
Morris (The life and public career)~.  THE AUTHENTIC LIFE OF
WILLIAM McKINLEY, our third martyr president, Together with a
life sketch of Theodore Roosevelt, the 26th president of the
United States.  Washington DC, USA: W.E. Scull, 1901.  Keywords:
Out of Print -- Americana -- American History -- Antiquarian
(100+ years) -- Biography & Memoirs -- Espionage -- History --
Illustrated --  Illustrated (photos) -- Military-War-Spy -- Non-
Fiction -- Politics & Government -- includes Memorial Tributes by
Statesmen, Ministers, Orators & Rulers of all Countries.
Profusely Illustrated with Reproductions from Original
Photographs, Original Drawings & Special Pictures of the Family
by express permission from the Owners -- 100 illustrations --
English language.  First Printing (No Additional Printings
indicated).  Hardcover.  No dust jacket (none issued).  503 pages
+ song: 100 black & white photographs, art reproductions &
illustrations throughout.  Binding height: 9-1/8".   Publisher's
original decorated green full cloth, title etc. gold-stamped,
paste-on red, white & blue stars & stripes shield  (colors still
bright) surrounding paste-on b&w oval portrait of McKinley,
decoratively gold-stamped title and 'MEMORIAL EDITION to front.
Book Very Good: light bumping & rubbing to fore-corners (moderate
same to  spine-top/bottom), gilt partially faded on front
(completely on spine, but stampings still clear), stars & stripes
colors still vivid, moderate rubbing to McKinley's portrait,
moderate soiling & spotting to back, back hinge started, leaf
199-200 torn nearly across.  Insides otherwise Fine.  [Digital
JPEG image (2.75) available on request].  2326~.  US$75.-

Morier, James~.  THE ADVENTURES OF HAJJI BABA OF ISPAHAN~.  NY
NY, USA: Random House, 1937.  Keywords: Out of Print --
Illustrated -- Fiction -- Foreword by Christopher Morley -- in
many books, Hajji Baba is erroneously referred to as Ali Baba --
many sumptuous color plates & black & white illustrations by
Cyrus LeRoy Baldridge -- a lavishly handsome book -- this is
trade edition, with price on front DJ flap, & back flap
advertising titles available from Random House -- English
language.  First Printing thus (Same Date on title-page &
copyright-page).  Hardcover.  Dust jacket present, price intact.
403 pages: color & black & white illustrations throughout.
Binding height: 10-5/8".   Publisher's full color pictorial
buckram, all leaf-edges tinted.  Book Near Fine: light browning &
lightest rubbing to spine-top/bottom, slight spine-cock, end
papers browned at binding.  Binding strong & tight, insides Fine
-- a gorgeous book.  Dust jacket Poor: heavy chipping to fore-
corners, heavy chipping & tearing to top/bottom edges & spine-
top/bottom (1-1/2" loss to spine-top, 2" loss to spine-bottom,
front detached from spine (to protect spine, I reconnected same
on the inside with a strip of removable Scotch tape).  Dust
jacket pluses: most of front & back remain, bright & colorful.
[Digital JPEG image (4) available on request].  2327~.  US$100.-

                Gerard Gormley Books
                COLLECTIBLE BOOKS -- USED & RARE
                7 Washington Street
                Manchester-by-the-Sea MA 01944-1528 (USA)
                TEL: 978-526-7351
               E-mail: gerard at shore.net
                http://www.shore.net/~gerard
Please note that my descriptions are brutally frank; if anything,
I want you pleasantly surprised by my books.  JPEG digital images
available on request.   I accept MasterCard, Visa, & Discover cards;
also checks & money orders, payable to Gerard Gormley Books, in
US funds drawn on US banks.  (I bill institutions.)  Full refund for
books returned in as-shipped condition within 2 weeks of ship-date;
if my fault, I also reimburse you for return postage.  I ship in 24 hours.
Shipment value $50 or less, weight  2 lb. or less: Priority $7 first book,
$3.50 each additional.  Media Mail $4 most books.  Over $50, preceding
plus insurance, quoted at order entry.  Shipping also quoted for books
over 2 lb. & foreign addresses.  Please email or telephone to hold.  I
hold books 10 days for collectors, 3 weeks for dealers.  I appreciate
your business & aim to satisfy you in every way.
         Incoming & outgoing mail is certified Virus Free
         by Norton System Works 2002.