[Rarebooks] fs: Pennsylvania Hall Burned by Mob, 1838...

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Thu Sep 23 12:11:30 EDT 2004

Offered by Joslin Hall Rare Books,
from our JUST CATALOGUED pages.

To be the first to know when we refresh these pages,
sign up for our free email Newsletter-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm>

~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~

[Webb, Samuel] HISTORY OF PENNSYLVANIA HALL, WHICH WAS DESTROYED BY A MOB,
ON THE 17th of MAY, 1838.

Philadelphia; Printed by Merrihew and Gunn: 1838.

On the 14th of May, 1838, the handsome new Federal edifice called
"Pennsylvania Hall" was officially opened. Costing some $40,000 and built
with subscriptions from abolitionists for the purpose having a place
"wherein the principles of Liberty, and Equality of Civil Rights, could be
freely discussed", the hall was also to be open to any other organization
of good character.

Over the first three days of its existence there were meetings and
speeches, including the reading of an original poem by Whittier applauding
the opening of the Hall, and an oration by C.C. Burleigh on the rights of
Native Americans and wrongs committed against them. Over 3,000 people were
in attendance.

On the third day the Pennsylvania Anti-Slavery Society held a meeting which
included a speech by William Lloyd Garrison.

On the fourth day of its existence the Hall was host to a meeting of the
Anti-Slavery Convention of American Women; most of the speeches and remarks
that were given over the four days are reproduced here.

On the night following the 4th day the Hall was burned into a hollow,
blackened shell by a furious pro-slavery mob. An account of the destruction
of the Hall, the police report, and various remarks are also included here.
The book is illustrated with three fine plates, showing the Hall as it
stood on the first day, a dramatic plate of the Hall in flames, and a
woodcut of the blackened shell on the fifth day.

Hardcover. 6"x9", 200 pages, 2 lithographs (one colored) and a woodcut;
errata slip. Original brown basketweave-patterned cloth with gilt title on
the cover; covers with minor soil, some rubbing, tips bumped, and a little
threadbare in one place along the spine; contents with some minor foxing (a
bit more to the title page); bookplate, etc. [06037] $450.00

Illustrations-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/images03/th-06037.jpg>

~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~<|>~

This book is from our JUST CATALOGUED pages.

To be the first to know when we refresh these pages,
sign up for our free email Newsletter-
<http://www.joslinhall.com/newslist.htm>

Post Office Box 516, Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367
email <office at joslinhall.com>;
~~
Our full-service website features 82 separate subject
categories, is updated daily and has full search
capabilities. http://www.joslinhall.com
~~
Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
discounts and offers on selected books! Send e-mail to
<JHRBnews- at joslinhall.com>; and put the word
"subscribe" (without quotes) in the Subject line of your note.
~~
Check out our "Featured Book"
http://www.joslinhall.com/today1.htm

All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges
are $5.00 for the first book, and $1.50 for each additional book.
Shipments outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns
if we are notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please
ask for full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add
5% state sales tax.

As members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of
America we are committed to upholding high professional
standards and making sure your bookbuying experience is
enjoyable.

Subscribe to the free Rare Books Mailing List
http://www.rarebooksmailinglist.com