[Rarebooks] FS: Two Early Letters by W. S. Merwin with comments about his first book

Charles Agvent agvent at erols.com
Sat Sep 25 13:48:00 EDT 2004

MERWIN,  W.  S..  TWO AUTOGRAPH LETTERS  SIGNED  (ALSs).
         Mallorca,  Spain:  1953.  Two very early  one-page  AUTOGRAPH
         LETTERS  SIGNED by Merwin, one dated 19 January 1953 and  the
         other 4  December,  likely in 1952, the year his  first  book
         was published.  Both letters are addressed to W. Price Turner
         of Scotland,  editor  of  THE POET magazine. In  the  earlier
         letter,  Merwin  submits poems [not present] for  the  Winter
         issue and  briefly discusses "the unfortunate incompetence of
         the Spanish  postal  system."  In  the  later  and  lengthier
         letter,  Merwin thanks Turner for a letter and a copy of  his
         magazine.  In  part:  "It is extremely heartening,  ever,  to
         find a  native  of  the  British  isles  who  is  aware  that
         American    poetry  does  exist.  Who,   if  I'm  not   being
         impertinent,  and for my own amusement, was the  'overpraised
         poet' who  so  happily  remarked that it didn't?  ...  Oxford
         University  Press  has imported 'a limited number' of  copies
         of A MASK  FOR  JANUS  [Merwin's first book]  (whatever  that
         means)  at  a  horrifying  price  --  16s.  Which  I  suppose
         effectively  renders  it invalid in England, whether  or  not
         anything  else  did."  Two  fine and very  early  letters  by
         Merwin,  with one envelope addressed by the poet to Turner in
         Glasgow,  "Escocia  (Inglaterra)," with  interesting  content
         about his early work. Near Fine                      $1250.00

--

All books subject to prior sale.  Cash with order; institutions may be billed.  Postage additional:  $7.00 for the first book, $3.50 each thereafter.  Overseas postage billed at approximate cost. Pennsylvania residents must add 6% sales tax.  Mastercard, Visa, American Express and Discover accepted.  Books may be returned within 7 days of receipt for any reason provided they are in the same condition as sent and prior notice is given. Please insure returns for their full value.  We carry a diverse stock with major specialties including Modern and 19th Century Literary First Editions, Autographed Books, and Limited Editions Club books.  We are proud to be members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America (ABAA) and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers (ILAB) as well as the International Autograph Dealers Alliance (IADA), the Manuscript Society, and the Universal Autograph Collectors Club (UACC).  Please feel free to contact us with any wants or offerings.  Thank you.

Mertztown, PA  19539-8750
Voice/Fax: 610-682-4750
agvent at erols.com
Visit our home page:  http://www.erols.com/agvent