[Rarebooks] fs-Law of India, including Hindu Law [I]

Joe Luttrell rarelaw at meyerbos.com
Sun Jun 13 22:40:43 EDT 2004

A selection of works which we have in stock on the law of India,
including Hindu law, and related subjects; for others, please
feel free to browse our web site, where you may search our entire
inventory by any word or phrase: www.meyerbos.com

1.  BARKER, F.A.  The Modern Prison System of India.  Macmillan
and Co. Ltd., London, 1944.  [15692 L17L49] $ 50.00

2.  [BRITISH COMMONWEALTH].  Census of India, 1931. Vol. I,
India. Part IV, Social and Linguistic Maps.  Survey of India,
Calcutta, 1931.  Leather-backed boards, folio, bowed and a bit
stained, but sound. [90811] $ 150.00

3.  [BRITISH COMMONWEALTH].  General Statutory Rules and Orders.
Volume XIX.  Ministry of Law, Delhi, 1972.  Ex-British Library,
green cloth, a sound copy. [90801]                        $ 50.00

4.  [BRITISH COMMONWEALTH].  Shivlal Gupta.  Rajasthan Local
Laws, 1949-1970. Vol. 10, 1974.  India Publishing House, Jodhpur,
1974.  Red buckram, soiled but sound. [90806] $ 50.00

5.  [BRITISH COMMONWEALTH].  S. (ed.) Mitra.  The Indian Law
Reports, Calcutta Series. 1949, Vol. I, January-June.  West Bengal
Government Press, Alipore, 1949.  Orange buckram, a bit worn and
stained, yet a very sound copy. [90803]                   $ 50.00

6.  BUHLER, Georg (trans.).  The Sacred Laws of the Aryas. . .Two
volumes.  At the Clarendon Press, Oxford, 1914.  One spine chipped,
else quite a fresh set. [46206]                          $ 225.00

7.  COCHRANE, John.  Hindoo Law. Defence of the Daya Bhaga. Notice
of the Case on Prosoono Coomar Tagore's Will. Judgment of the
Judicial Committee of the Privy Council. Examination of Such
Judgment.  Wm. H. Allen & Co., 13, Waterloo Place, Pall Mall,
London, 1872.  Contemporary green cloth, one hinge cracking, yet
sound. [43822 L15L23] PHOTO:
http://www.meyerbos.com/bookListing.cgi?bookNo=43822     $ 150.00

8.  DOUGLAS, William O.  West of the Indus.  Doubleday & Company,
Inc., Garden City, 1958.  A very good copy, in a somewhat worn
dustjacket. [62694 L73E]                                  $ 45.00

Douglas' retraversing of much of the route of Marco Polo and
Alexander the Great, from Karachi to Istanbul.

9.  GUPTA, M.C.  Companion Volume to General Sales Tax Law in
Madhya Pradesh.  Wadhwa & Company, Indore, 1968.  A sound copy in
a worn dustjacket. [30728]                                $ 25.00

10.  [HINDU LAW].  Nathaniel Brassay Halhed (ed. and trans.).  A
Code of Gentoo Laws, or Ordinations of the Pundits. From a Persian
Translation, Made From the Original, Written in the Shanscrit
Language.  n.p., London, 1776.  Modern calf, the spine extra gilt,
definite embrowning; attractive. [55753 NYL33L64EL74E] PHOTO:
http://www.meyerbos.com/bookListing.cgi?bookNo=55753     $ 850.00

First edition of the first work in English describing the
principles of Hindu jurisprudence, digesting Sanscrit law;
translated by Halhed, the English orientalist and the first
European to perceive the philosophical affinities of Sanscrit and
Latin.

****************************
 Meyer Boswell Books, Inc.
 Rare and Scholarly Law Exclusively
 2141 Mission Street
 San Francisco CA 94110
 415 255 6400
 415 255 6499 FAX
 rarelaw at meyerbos.com
 www.meyerbos.com

 Member, Antiquarian Booksellers Association of America
 and the International League of Antiquarian Booksellers