[Rarebooks] fs: Interesting Victorian Epitaph Book w/Photos

Joslin Hall Rare Books office at joslinhall.com
Sat Sep 25 10:30:45 EDT 2004

from the new issue of our printed catalog, A GRAVE AFFAIR-

T., E.M. "INTO THE SILENT LAND: Epitaphs Quaint, Curious, Historic. Copied
Chiefly from Tombstones, by E.M.T., with comments and illustrations"

London; Simpkin, Marshall, Hamilton, Kent & Co.:nd (ca.1893).

An interesting late Victorian epitaph book; the author apologizes for the
fact that many of the 16th-18th century epitaphs are not exactly what
Victorians thought of as being in "good taste".

           "From early times the satirical, the punning,
            the bombastic, and the malicious epitaph have
            been indulged in. Our ancestors seem to have
            frequently looked upon the churchyard as a fair
            field for mirth at the expense of the departed.
            Gibes, allusions to deformities, misfortunes, or
            peculiarities often meet the eye, puns and double
            entendres are set forth, and we are sometimes
            puzzled to account for the levity and want of good
            taste displayed by survivors, who could think it
            worth their while to record in stone their neighbors'
            foibles and peccadilloes."

She offers several explanations for this of which this is by far the most
interesting-

           "The village churchyard would oftentimes be a
            place of rendez-vous in the long summer evenings,
            the tombstone inscriptions would be read, criticized,
            applauded or condemned, and if they caused a laugh
            or contained a good joke, so much the better."

The text is illustrated with four albumen photographs, two of medieval
effigies, one of a Canova-like tomb sculpture, and one Elizabethan memorial
shrine. The photos were "specially taken and mounted by Mr. B. Gratton of
Bakewell".

An exceptionally interesting Victorian mourning-related photographic book.
An uncommon title; OCLC lists only 3 copies.   Hardcover.  7.5"x10", viii,
127 pages, plus 4 albumen photographs pasted-in; pictorial covers with
another photograph mounted-on; very light cover wear, tips a bit bumped,
some internal soil especially around the endpapers, but overall a nice
copy. [29030] $675.00

Illustrations-
<http://www.a-grave-affair.com/Images/th-29030.jpg>

To subscribe to "GRAVE MATTERS", our new email newsletter, go here-
<http://a-grave-affair.com/mailman/listinfo/grave_matters_a-grave-affair.com>

To see the current "GRAVE MATTERS" newsletter go here-
<http://www.a-grave-affair.com/grave_matters_current.htm>

To visit A GRAVE AFFAIR go here-
<http://www.a-grave-affair.com>

Post Office Box 516, Concord, Massachusetts 01742 USA
telephone (617) 492-5367
email <office at joslinhall.com>;
~~
Our full-service website features 82 separate subject
categories, is updated daily and has full search
capabilities. http://www.joslinhall.com
~~
Subscribe to our free email News List and get special
discounts and offers on selected books! Send e-mail to
<JHRBnews- at joslinhall.com>; and put the word
"subscribe" (without quotes) in the Subject line of your note.
~~
Check out our "Featured Book"
http://www.joslinhall.com/today1.htm

All payments must be in U.S. funds and negotiable through a U.S. bank;
We accept checks, money orders, American Express, Visa and Mastercard.
Books may be reserved pending payment; Institutions may be billed;
Standard courtesies to institutions and the trade; Postage charges
are $5.00 for the first book, and $1.50 for each additional book.
Shipments outside the U.S. will be billed at cost. We accept returns
if we are notified within ten days of your receipt of the books-please
ask for full instructions and terms. Massachusetts residents must add
5% state sales tax.

As members of the Antiquarian Booksellers Association of
America we are committed to upholding high professional
standards and making sure your bookbuying experience is
enjoyable.

Subscribe to the free Rare Books Mailing List
http://www.rarebooksmailinglist.com